The decision of when to stop driving is a complex one that depends on individual circumstances and abilities, rather than a specific age. While many seniors are able to continue driving safely into their later years, others may experience age-related declines in vision, hearing, cognitive function, and motor skills that can affect their ability to drive safely. Family members and healthcare providers may help assess driving abilities and may suggest a driving evaluation or a formal driving assessment. Some warning signs that may indicate that it is time to stop driving include difficulty seeing traffic signs and signals, trouble staying in the lane, slower reaction times, increased anxiety, or confusion while driving, and recent traffic accidents or near-misses. It is important for senior citizens to be honest with themselves and their loved ones about their driving abilities and to make responsible decisions that prioritize their safety and the safety of others on the road.
There are several transportation solutions available for seniors who are no longer able to drive or prefer not to drive, including:
1. Public transportation: Many cities offer public transportation options such as buses, that are accessible to seniors and offer discounted fares.
2. Paratransit services: Paratransit services provide door-to-door transportation for seniors and individuals with disabilities who are unable to use regular public transportation.
3. Ride-sharing services: Ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft are convenient options for seniors who need to get around and don't want to drive.
4. Volunteer driver programs: Some organizations offer volunteer driver programs where volunteers provide transportation to seniors in their community.
5. Senior transportation programs: Many communities have senior transportation programs that offer affordable transportation options for seniors, such as shuttle services, taxi vouchers, and other programs.
6. Family and friends: Seniors may also be able to rely on family members or friends for transportation.
It is important for seniors to explore transportation options available in their community to find the best solution for their needs.
At Yuma Senior Living our residents can take advantage of the regular transportation to shopping and special outings that we provide. In addition, as a member of our community, you’ll enjoy additional benefits such as nutritious chef-created meals to nourish your body, resident-centered wellness activities, as well as assistance with daily tasks and premier medical assistance. Simply give them a call at (928) 388-6858, and their Community Ambassador will schedule an onsite tour at your convenience.